This Gobi Desert tour takes you on an exploratory adventure to see the highlights of Mongolian culture and historic landscapes. Travelling from steppe, to mountain, to vast desert and sand dunes you will see all sorts of flora and fauna, from the steppe eagle to the tiny pika. Climb to the top of the famous “singing sand dunes”, ride a Bactrian Camel and search for dinosaur bones. Encounter true nomadic spirits and feel the heartwarming hospitality of the herders who live in one of the harshest environments on the planet.
Dates: Available as a private tour from June till mid September
- Explore the Gobi Gurvan Saikhan National Park at the foot hills of the Altai Mountains and find a frozen river even in summer
- Climb and hike on the vast 965 km² Hongor sand dunes; some dune reach over 80m high!
- Spend time with a camel herding family, learning about the ancient traditions, very rare today, that have been passed down generation to generation. Try some local delicacies such as fermented milk vodka.
- Find hidden dinosaur bones in the red sandstone around the famous Flaming Cliffs, where Roy Chapman Andrews (the model for Indiana Jones!) found dinosaur eggs for the first time.
- Witness the spectacular Gobi sky. The desert sunsets and star gazing will leave you breathless.
PROGRAM: Gobi Desert: Historic Landscapes
Day 1 – Fly to Dalanzadgad, South Gobi. Meet your driver and continue to Yol Valley National Park, cradled in the foothills of the Altai Mountains. A hike through the valley leads to the habitat of indigenous vulture-like Lammergeyers, Altai snowcock, ibex, yak, and Argali mountain sheep. Overnight in ger camp.
Day 2 – After breakfast drive to Khongor sand dunes, known as the Singing Sands due to the eerie noise they make when the sands shift. Up to 12km wide, 100km long and around 80m high these dunes dominate the landscape. A climb up to the top of the sand dunes will be rewarded with a breathtaking view. In the afternoon go on a tour of Seruun Bulag spring, a green oasis. Overnight in ger camp.
Day 3 – Visit a camel herding family and try some local delicacies. You may be able to try fresh camel milk, fermented milk or vodka made from milk. Learn about their lives and get an insight into the nomadic way of life that is still strong in this part of the world. Have a short camel ride alongside the dunes for an hour before lunch. Drive to the legendary Flaming Cliffs, named for the orange glow of the rock at sunset. Although not obvious to the untrained eye, the red sandstone of the Flaming Cliffs is rich with dinosaur fossils and paleontological expeditions continue to make significant discoveries at this site. Enjoy a beer or glass of wine while watching a stunning Gobi sunset over the red rocks.
Day 4 – After breakfast, drive to Dalanzadgad city for your flight back to Ulaanbaatar. Transfer to your hotel.
OUR ADVENTURE INCLUDES:
English speaking guide, private transportation and fuel, 2-way flight Dalanzadgad/Ulaanbaatar, accommodation as specified, all meals, all activities as mentioned in itinerary, all entrance fees and National parks, bottled water.
Please contact Bold and Anna to get the full itinerary and a quote or to make modifications to meet your needs.
Don’t forget there are other activities to add on too, if you like. Check out our activity page for ideas!